Funding for Precious Minds, New Connections (PMNC) is made possible by the Kronkosky Charitable Foundation. PMNC is a collaborative effort between the Mexican American Unity Council, Inc., and Edgewood Independent School District, local churches and community organizations. Contributing to the community through education in the strengthening of functional family relationships.
1. $20.00 HEB CARD
2. Parenting Book
3. Light meals served
4. Free childcare
5. Zoo passes
PMNC offers free parenting classes for parents, grandparents or foster parents of children from birth to 3 years of age. Both English and Spanish parenting classes are offered mornings and evenings at various locations throughout the City. Nurturing Parenting Program
PMNC follows the Nurturing Parenting Program curriculum. The foundation of this program is that parenting is learned and is based on the following assumptions:
1. The family is a system and involvement of all family members is essential to bring about change.
2. Empathy is the single most desirable quality in nurturing parenting. When empathy is high, abuse is low.
3. Parenting exists on a continuum. Building positive, healthy interactions between family members is important to reduce family violence.
4. Learning is both cognitive and affective and is based largely on experiences.
5. Children who feel good about themselves are more likely to become nurturing parents. This is accomplished by helping parents.
Classes meet once a week for ten (10) consecutive weeks. Classes are 2 hours long and include a parent and child curriculum. Parents and children are provided a free meal during family nurturing time and are then separated into their different classes. Upon graduation, parents receive certificates of completion, a gift certificate for the family, and a parenting manual.